I will try and repost images from work this week. I do not understand why they did not post last week.
Several of my books arrived this week. As they were from different stores, they trickled in every day. It was so exciting going to the post office to pick them up!
I was not too happy about the first two arrivals. Book Play and re-bound. They were how-to's and upon first glance not very inspiring. I plan to reevaluate them in the coming weeks. I hope to be able to glean some things of value from them.
The third book that arrived was The Penland Book of Handmade Books. Now this one is a treat! I am looking forward to spending time looking at the work of the artists showcased within these pages. The book shows photos of exquisitely made unique hand crafted books, with some explanations as to how they were created. I did find it hard to follow their explanations, and I am not sure if that is due to my novice state working in this medium, or if the explanations were not as clear as they need to be. A few of the other arrivals are books on dyeing, which I will probably be saving to read until I have time to attempt some of the recipes in the books. Two additional books that look like they have promise were ones I chanced upon while in a small Australian book shop this past summer. The New Artisans and Encore! The New Artisans (book two). I quickly glanced through these, and found they are full of varied artists working in multiple disciplines. They give a page or two to each artists represented and show them in their studios, working on a project and a couple of examples of their work.
I received a notice that some more books arrived yesterday. I will be picking them up tomorrow.
Tomorrow after work I am going to try to attend a meeting of the Dallas Fiber Artists. I have never attended a meeting before, and look forward to meeting the members of this group. One of the women in my bookbinding class is also a fiber artist (she does Indigo Shibori pieces) and sometimes attends these meetings as well. She is a lot further along in her bookbinding skills as she has been working with our instructor for the past few years. It is going to take me a long while to develop the skills that my fellow classmates have as they are all a few years into the process of learning various bookbinding techniques.
the Penland book is wonderful. I have used it in classes because not only are you introduced to artist but each artist introduces you to artist they admire. All books have something to offer at different time. Read and report as it works for you.
ReplyDelete