Sunday, October 11, 2015

Teaching and learning

It has been difficult to be the new teacher and come up with lessons for my students.

Most of my time is spent pouring over pages trying to find the right project for them. I am stressed and have lost weight as well.

This weekend I was able to make a connection with them by being at a track meet, and running with them, when they felt like giving up. They were able to finish the race, and they knew that I was cheering them on and hopefully they know that I care for them as my students, as a person of worth.

I am trying to prove that to myself, that I am person of worth, and that I have something to say. It has been hard to make time for making art since I am so busy helping others with theirs. Sure, I make art as examples, but not the art that says this is what I want to say or express.

I have been researching techniques for drawing and painting, and want to utilize them in my next painting. I started painting a master work by Manet, and haven't had the time to finish, because we moved this summer. My goal is to create a painting and work more in printmaking. I love printmaking and look forward to teaching that to my students.

When I have something to show, I will post it and share. I need to keep the positive thoughts so that can happen.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes showing up is as important as any lesson you can give. If you can not make art at this time it is OK, read books/articles that inspire you and make you think and re-think. I am curious why are you coping a Monet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,
    From personal experience: going out to their meets says a good deal to them about your caring. I have done just that when I was having a hard time connecting with some of the young men and women in my art classes who do not think they are "any good" at art, but consider themselves "athletes." It is also a way to connect the concept regarding "practice" (art or sports) as developing skill in anything requires practice!

    ReplyDelete