Last year in my Independent Study class with Future I wrote about some "Final Thoughts" regarding my experiences at Junction and how much it meant to me to work in "community" with and amongst other artists. My first year I did a collaborative project creating a fresco mural. The next year I worked "near" other artists, but we worked together when we were "pulling our prints" using a steam roller.
After being bitten by the printmaking bug, I took a silkscreen class, and working with others was a by-product of the process. I have noticed that oftentimes printers and the printmaking processes encourage the concept of community.
Several years ago I started taking my motivated art students to participate in "Art Con" here in Dallas. The students would work collaboratively on a canvas that was then donated for auction to raise money for a specially designated group.
From these times, I started developing a hunger to connect more closely with other artists to both encourage and work together on projects.
I have been asked to be a speaker at a conference being held here in Dallas next week. I have chosen to speak on "Collaborating and Connecting" with other artists. I plan to use a "round table" format in the hopes of facilitating a "round table discussion" to discuss "how can we be intentional in our community to connect with other artists and make an impact in the community where we live?" I asked for a two hour time slot in order to spend some time talking, and some time "creating." I plan to have both a communal project and individual projects available, depending on what people want to do. I am nervous, excited and anticipating a great time. Whatever happens, I know there will be positive growth for me in doing this.
I am thankful for other classes led by Future which introduced me to the concept of "community" via books - including Scrape the Willow ( about Julia Parker), and Liza Lou in Durban Diaries. Thank you Future!!
thank you for the kind words, remember you are the one who has done all the work. I love your idea for a talk. I think the biggest barrier to collaborative or collective work is ego. And the that old myth that we all have to work alone/in pain/isolated and rejected to be a good artist. I have been lucky enough to work with a number of artists in new ways. I love the surprise of what happens when I suspend my "ideal". Good Luck
ReplyDelete