I have found a few creative books that might help me get out of my head.
When I read through these books, it opened my mind to possibilities that I would like to try in my artwork. I think of teaching these to my students, but I know that I will try them for myself. It will help me create more drawings, paintings, and prints.
The new books that I found are, The Artist's Way; A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron, Teach Like A Pirate by Dave Burgess, and Artist Block Cured; 201 ways to unleash your creativity by Linda Krall and Amy Runyen. I don't know if these will be approved for this class, but it might help me get over the artist block that I am having. It might be due to my schedule teaching art, but I am having to create teacher examples for the art projects I am teaching in Art I, Art II/III, and Art 7. I can't believe that I am teaching all of these students and I am loving it. I know that I have so much to learn in having better classroom management and teaching the vocabulary to them. It is a challenge taking all that on, but it is keeping me thinking of new ways to teach them and reach them to enhance their art experience in my classroom. In fact, some of them come back saying, "You know this is my favorite class." I still am not sure how that is possible yet. I think it is still not ideal yet how I am teaching them, but maybe the rapport is better between us.
I will need to go now, due to my schedule. I have had no internet all weekend due to the terrible weather. So, now I need to write essential questions for the next nine weeks for school.
Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from anyone who shares creative ways to fit into their schedules.
Thanks... have a great week!
What books call you are the books you need to read. Period.
ReplyDeleteIf you bring yourself/your passion for art/your confusion within art/your relationship with art to the classroom you have won. The rest is based on what is required at your school. You can not teach. not really teach/share art if you are not involved in art/making. The kids sense when it is an assignment and when it is an adventure.
Sometimes the biggest lesson is learning to deal with failure or doubt. And the most valuable time is the time allowed to dream.
I have one of those books, and I do agree, they are great to read! I hope you enjoy them.
ReplyDeletePaula,
ReplyDeleteIf it is any encouragement, one of the classes I am teaching is Ceramics and I am quite out of my comfort zone. It is the first year that I have a class exclusively devoted to this discipline. I feel like I am in deep waters and barely able to keep afloat! The students know that I am in this "adventure" with them, that my experience in making ceramics is fairly limited and that I am only about one step ahead of them.
We watch tutorials together, we watch tutorials separately. Sometimes they send me links and sometimes I send them links. They look at Pinterest sites for inspiration as well. The students have a great attitude and it is actually quite interesting to watch the dynamics in this class unfold. We are learning together.