Pan Dulce in Red, 16" x 16"
Pan Dulce in Yellow, 16"x16"
Potted Beauties, 12"x12"
Aguas Frescas, 12"x12"
Day of the Dead
I'm excited and a bit nervous as I present my finished pieces to you. My project for the semester was to create a line of textiles using printmaking as the medium for creating the designs and some of the actual textiles.
I wanted to create designs based on my region and culture. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of printmaking and I know that it will be an art form that I will continue to work with.
The top two pieces, Pan Dulce in Red and Pan Dulce in Yellow were created by printing right on the fabric. I used canvas fabric. I carved into cork for the actual print.
Potted Beauties and Aguas Frescas were printed on fabric by the company, Spoonflower. I sent them copies of two of my prints and they were printed on light cotton fabric. Potted Beauties is a monoprint and Aguas Frescas is an intaglio. I had started these two pieces prior to the class, but had not had the opportunity to complete them. This class allowed me the opportunity to do so.
The hummingbird carving and the Day of the Dead carving are still in production. I believe I may be able to complete the Day of the Dead carving by the end of the week, but I am in search for a piece of fabric that already has some type of print on it. This idea is still formulating itself in my mind.I plan to continue exploring marigolds as a series of prints that will translate into textile designs.
I have enjoyed working with printmaking and printing on fabric and seeing my work on fabric. I'm sure I will continue to explore this process.
Metals continue to take center stage in my life, but I have to say that printmaking and textile design have found a place in my heart and I am glad that I took this opportunity to try something new because I most definitely learned something new about myself.
I'm excited about the possibilities that this new medium has to offer.
Future, I will email you my paper in the following days, I'm just polishing it up.
*I ironed some creases into my work so that you could get the effect of the fabric, it was looking too much like paper in my photos.
Great job on printmaking on textiles. I'm sure fabric is hard to print because of the material, depends on how thick it is. I have done one myself for my mock project back in the old day. Printmaking is so much fun since it give you so many option to run with such as wood, metal, poster, and more. Keep up great work!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I really like Day of the Dead! Can't wait to see your result on that, too.
Spoonflower was perfect for your work. Seeing the images repeated is so much fun. What a wonderful way to transend the walls art can put up between mediums.
ReplyDelete