Sunday, December 6, 2015

Final Post: Continuing the Process of Bookbinding

Continuing the process of Bookbinding.

Here are a few pages showing the process of bookbinding that I have been learning this past year. I am amazed at how much I have learned and yet how much more I have to learn.

This interest in bookmaking started when I purchased two beautiful leather hand bound book at a Crafts Fair about a year and a half ago. I have chosen to focus this past year on traditional bookmaking techniques, and so thus far have only created fairly “normal” books. I long to push myself to start creating more unusual structures, but at the same time feel there is so much to learn about the structure of books in general before I attempt anything really different. This has been an incredible journey, and I am as excited about creating books as I am about drawing in them.


I had taken a one-day workshop last year in the Fall, which started me on this current path. That first book (September 14, 2014) was created in a 5 hour class period and the instructor and his wife ran through the process at an incredibly fast pace. There were about 8 -10 people in the class in a fairly small space.


 My current class is also in a small space, but there are only 2 or 3 students working at the same time.  After that initial 5-hour class, I started to purchase books on bookbinding and tried to create books from reading and with no real bookbinding equipment at my disposal. I look at the first few books I created before I had started taking classes this semester and I am amazed at the improvement. I am debating whether to take them to my current class to dismantle and re-bind as I am having my capstone show this upcoming Spring and I cringe at the way they are held together!







At the beginning of this Semester I took apart a book I put together on my own (the one with the letterpress prints) which I showed on a previous blog.

The style of that book is called "hardback" binding. I reposted them (above) for you to see.


The next book finished was the album done in what is known as “Oriental Binding” technique. 

















   
Each book has many steps before the book is complete. Because I am not sticking with one kind of binding at this point, I do not remember each process without assistance. I have begun taking lots of notes, which helps to jog my memory. I also try and take lots of images on my iPad.


I just finished my first round back book. I covered this one in brown leather. And used marbled papers created by Galen Berry. He no longer makes marbles papers and it is almost impossible to find any of his for sale. The ones that are for sale start at $20 on eBay. My instructor gave me the marbled paper I used. I started this book last year in the Spring. The edges were all deckled using an antique deckle cutter. 






I am considering either painting on the cover of this book or possibly using a different scrap of leather to make a design. The leather has to be pared down to a paper-thin texture before it can be used. This is done with a special machine. There is a learning curve to using the machine. It is a bit anxiety provoking as it is easy to strip off too much leather and end up with nothing. The leather hides are quite costly to purchase.



I have not yet finished my red leather miniature booklet.  




I tried making a ceramic book, but the cover was too thin and broke in half. I am going to try and make the ceramic pieces a little thicker.

 I am also considering making a soft sculpture book after studying Louise Bourgeois’ work last year at the MOMA.
  
The books I have been reading (and a little commentary on each) during this class are:

The Penland Book of Handmade Books.  The incredible pieces in this book are inspiring!

The Modern Natural Dyer by Kristine Vejar (2015. Stewart Taburi and Chang, a division of Abrams.) This is a beautifully illustrated book of natural dying process. I was hoping to do more natural dying after taking a workshop last year, but the process is very intensive and I do not have the time/space at the moment, hopefully in the future.

From Art to Stitch (Janet Edmonds, 2015. Search Press Limited). This is an “ideas” book with examples of different types of stitching utilizing inspiration from other artists.

Connected Cloth. Creating collaborative textile projects (Cas Holmes and Anne Kelly, 2013. Batsford).

This is a beautiful book of textile projects. The cover of the book is some sort of “fabric” that feels wonderful to touch!

Natural Processes in Textile Art: From Rust Dyeing to Found Objects (Alice Fox, 2015 Batsford). Another great resource book for future projects, this book also has the same fabric texture feel as the other book printed by Batsford.

Slow Stitch: Mindful and contemplative textile art (Claire Welesley-Smith, 2015. Batsford). This has the same delightful fabric tactile cover akin to the other Batsford books. Although this book is predominantly about sewing, for me it is a little reminiscent of Liza Lou and Durban Diaries. A beautiful book which is provoking me to want to make that fabric book for my capstone!

The New Artisans (Olivier Dupon, 2011. Thames & Hudson) and
Encore! The New Artisans (Olivier Dupon, 2015. Thames & Hudson). Both of these devote a few pages along with profiles of various “makers” from all over the world. Inspiring and exciting to flip through and read about these craftspeople.


Thank you Future for allowing me to pursue my interests!



No comments:

Post a Comment